Privacy & Accessibility
Your Privacy is Important to Us
Collection of Personal Information
Rail Australia only collects personal information which is necessary in connection with its business purposes. These purposes include:
- to provide you with travel services on Rail Australia trains;
- to answer your queries, and provide you with information in relation to travel and accommodation options, packages, and other activities; and
- to arrange, process and make reservations for travel, accommodation, packages and other activities on your behalf, to invoice you for confirmed travel arrangements, and to complete related transactions.
The specific types of personal information collected and used by Rail Australia varies according to the purpose for collection. However, in general this information includes:
- your name, address, and contact details (eg telephone number, facsimile number and email address);
- credit card details and pensioner/concession information (if applicable);
- travel, accommodation and activity details;
- vehicle details (eg model, make and registration);
- any health issues that may be relevant in relation to your proposed travel or activity arrangements, including dietary requirements (if any); and
- any other special requirements that you may have.
- the disclosure of their information to Rail Australia and the purposes for which the information is collected by Rail Australia; and
- the individual's ability to request access to the personal information held about them by Rail Australia, and to advise Rail Australia if they think the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date.
Use and disclosure of Personal Information
Rail Australia may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose for which the information was collected (see Collection of Personal Information), reasonably expected secondary purposes, where you have consented, and otherwise in accordance with the NPPs, including:
- to process and make reservations for your travel, accommodation and activity arrangements and to facilitate other transactions in relation to those arrangements (including without limitation disclosing your information to travel agents, accommodation and activity service providers and other carriers, tour operators and transport companies who will be providing you with services in relation to your travel plans);
- to provide you with information from time to time about the goods and services offered by Rail Australia and third parties, including updates, special deals and other information about travel options, packages and activities that can be booked through Rail Australia. You may notify Rail Australia by written notice addressed to our Privacy Officer at any time if you do not wish to receive this information;
- to conduct surveys and other market research to assist us in assessing and improving our services;
- where required or authorised by law; and
- where required for administrative purposes and all other purposes reasonably associated with Rail Australia's business.
We may disclose your information to third party contractors and service providers engaged by Rail Australia from time to time to provide goods or services to us or on our behalf (including but not limited to email and mail handling providers, financial and credit service providers, market research providers, caterers, and those engaged to provide on-train services including luggage handling and check-in). Where such a third party is engaged, we prohibit them from using personal information provided to them by us, except for the specific purpose for which we supplied it. Your information may be shared between Rail Australia and any related companies that are incorporated from time to time.
Data Quality, Storage and Security
ail Australia strives to ensure that all personal information held in its records is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Personal information is held in a combination of electronic (and in some cases, hard copy) records stored securely at Rail Australia's facilities. Electronic information is protected by password security and other data protection measures. Access to personal information is restricted in accordance with Rail Australia's procedures to those personnel whose job functions require access to such information. Certain administrative functions may from time to time be contracted out to third parties, and in these cases appropriate security measures are implemented to ensure the security and integrity of all personal information.
Access and Correction
You may obtain access to the information held about you by Rail Australia by writing to Rail Australia's Privacy Officer as detailed below. In accordance with the NPPs, Rail Australia may deny access to requests for access to information in certain circumstances, including where:
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of another individual;
- providing access to the information would be unlawful, or the law permits Rail Australia to deny access;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings, or would prejudice Rail Australia's commercial negotiations with you or other individuals; or
- in Rail Australia's opinion, the request is frivolous or vexatious.
Rail Australia will correct any personal information which it becomes aware is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
Point of Contact
The Privacy Officer
PO Box 445
Marleston Business Centre
Rail Australia take seriously our responsibility for ensuring an accessible website. We are committed to building our website to support people with disabilities and those who use different types of hardware devices. Our website includes several features designed to improve accessibility for users with disabilities or who have slow connections to the internet. These features include:
- all images on our site contain 'alt tags', which provide an alternative message to users who are unable to view the graphics
- all links are carefully worded to provide detailed information about their destination
- we have developed clear, consistent navigation and screen presentation
Where possible throughout our website we have not used techniques that may create access barriers, for example, frames, embedded sounds and highly patterned backgrounds.
This site uses only relative font and font sizes, compatible with the user-specified 'text size' option in visual browsers
Our brochures available on the website are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files for general accessibility.
If you have a comment of request regarding our Accessibility Policy, please contact:
PO Box 445
Marleston Business Centre